COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, 2020 (Bill 197)
Written by Chad Grasza
Ontario has introduced the COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, 2020, part of a made-in-Ontario plan to help boost the province's economic recovery, create thousands of jobs, put more opportunities within reach of businesses, get infrastructure projects built faster, and improve the quality of life in every community across the province.
Environmental Assessment Act
The Ontario government is committed to giving local municipalities more say in landfill approvals, as committed to in our Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan. ON Government is proposing a change that will require new, large landfill applicants to ensure there is local support from host municipalities, and certain neighbouring adjacent municipalities within 3.5km that meet certain criteria as part of the approvals process.
This is a balanced approach that puts communities at the center of decision-making and provides more certainty for landfill applicants, while ensuring enough landfill capacity in the province.
Proposed changes includes:
- Establishing a Project List
- Replacement of Class Environmental Assessments
- Changes to Ministerial Orders for Comprehensive Environmental Assessments
- Required Municipal Support for Landfills
- Standardized Terms of Reference
- Harmonization Between Jurisdictions
- Expiry Dates for Individual/Comprehensive Environmental Assessments